Wednesday, May 14, 2014

finished - La Sylphide

I love the name of this pattern, La Sylphide (Papercut Patterns). It just sounds beautiful. This pattern has been sitting untouched in my sewing room for about a year. I bought it as soon as I saw this version made by Lauren. Not sure why I waited so long to make it. I didn't love the pattern's cover photo, but the pattern itself was really cool. It was my first time working with Papercut patterns and I was impressed by the packaging. Everything was made of brown paper and the instruction booklet was very cute.

I chose teal lawn for this dress to match my favorite shoes! Us sewing nerds can do that, make a dress to match some shoes. (shoes: Poetic License from Modcloth)

Some slip peekage here, oops.

The assembly of the dress went very easily and the only time I was stuck I just checked the sew along  page, very helpful! This pattern can be made as a dress, peplum top or skirt. I'm curious to try another  variation. The only change I made on the pattern was to lengthen the skirt, because it's real short otherwise. I used my rolled hem foot to hem this and it worked out better than my last try, so I'm getting better at that skill.

Here's a closer one of the bow collar. Also you can see the cute flower shaped buttons I used!

I'm still posting in the Me Made May Flickr group. I have a bunch of new ideas for future sewing projects thanks to the inspiration there.

 I'm thinking next I need the Flora Dress pattern and possibly the Darling Ranges Dress, but that one is quite similar to La Sylphide. I need to concentrate on what's already waiting in my stash. It's hard not to succumb to crafter's ADD sometimes. I just want to make everything.
I have two Belladone Dresses on my sewing table now!


  1. This is lovely. I spotted it on the MMMay14 flickr group & had to see more - great work! I also have this pattern & haven't tried it (although it's just moved up the queue!) Is your fabric a cotton? It's such a gorgeous colour.

    1. Thank you! Yes, my fabric is cotton lawn. It's very light. They have tons of nice lawn at Looking forward to seeing your version!