Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Finished Gertie's Bombshell Dress!

Here is a project that's been on my list for a year.  The Sew Retro Bombshell Dress, which is a class on Craftsy taught by the amazing Gretchen Hirsch.  

I had purchased the class as soon as I saw it, then the materials, some of which I had to order by mail, like spiral steel boning.  I finally felt ready to tackle this project this summer.  I knew it would be a challenge for me with all the hand sewing and new techniques.  I had to make sure I had plenty of patience ready, before tackling this one!

It went very smoothly though, while watching the detailed videos.  I knew it wouldn't be a quick project and that was okay.


I chose this cotton fabric because the pattern calls for something heavy enough to support the boning and cups, but not too heavy to drape at the front.  I also liked the vintage feed sack look of this print.


I like the detachable strap!


I've already worn this out on a date with my husband, and I love the way the dress stays up so well.  No tugging or worrying.  Thanks, Gretchen,  for showing me these new techniques for a perfectly engineered dress.  It's my favorite dress I've made!


Now that I'm on a roll for challenging projects, next up my first swimsuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment